This early installation for Autodesk Softimage 2013 is an alpha version- use at your own risk and save frequently.
uPy (ubiquitous Python API) enables ePMV and autoPACK to work in Autodesk 3ds Max, Maya, Softimage, Cinema 4D, Blender and DejaVu by writing only one plugin instead of >5.
ePMV (embedded Python Molecular Viewer) provides all of the capabilities of molecular graphics and molecular mechanics software directly in your Softimage GUI.
autoPACK positions 3D geometries into, onto, and around volumes with minimal to zero overlap. autoPACK mixes several packing approaches and procedural growth algorithms. autoPACK can thus place objects with forces and constraints to allow a high degree of control ranging from completely random distributions to highly ordered structures.
cellPACK is a specialization of autoPACK that generates probabilistic 3D models of large sections of cells that can contain dozens to trillions+ of molecules. It can position these molecules to recapitulate observed data where available and can further optimize the molecular interactions on a local level as each molecule is placed into a mesoscale model.
If you have experience with 3D software on a Windows operating system, especially with Softimage, this entire installation should take less than 10 minutes.
If you encounter difficulties, please visit the forum to search for answers or ask questions.
We ask that you fill out the optional survey to help us improve the installation procedure.
Running autoPACK in Softimage requires three major installation steps
- You MUST follow all of these steps in order, refer to the codingforxsi link above for details:
- Install Python 2.6.6-64 bit
- Follow instructions at http://www.python.org/getit/releases/2.6.6/
- Install PyWin32 for Python 2.6.6 (64-bit)
- Download this version pywin32-218.win-amd64-py2.6.exe from http://www.lfd.uci.edu/~gohlke/pythonlibs/#pywin32
- Double click to run the installer and just click [Next] until its done
- Install PyQt4 for Python 2.6.6 (64bit)
- Install PyQt4-4.10-gpl-Py2.6-Qt4.8.4-x64.exe
- Double click to run the installer until complete
- PyQt for Softimage plugin
- Download PyQtForSoftimage_beta5.xsiaddon by simply downloading it (right-click, save as)
- In Xsi FileMenu>Add-On>Install
- Click the button to the right of Filename and select your PyQtForSoftimage_beta5.xsiaddon download
- Restart Xsi
- Refer to the codingforxsi link above for details if you get stuck
2. Install uPy Plugin Suite 1.x which includes ePMV and autoPACK
- Download the uPy plugin package here: uPy-Softimage-1.1-Setup.exe
- Run the .exe and follow the onscreen instructions.
- It will install the MGLToolsPCkgs python module and the plugin files in C:\Users\<username>\Autodesk\Softimage_2013\Application
- Restart Softimage
- You can access and launch autoPACK and ePMV from the View file menu
3. Complete basic tutorials for ePMV and autoPACK
- This alpha version of autoPACK will improve several times each week and the tutorials will expand
- For now, follow the basic tutorials then experiment on your own.
- If you find a bug, check the forum to see if its already been fixed, and if not, let us know.
- WARNING: With the current Alpha release version of ePMV there are some performance lags for atom and stick models. We recommend working only with small molecules like 1crn if you plan to turn on sticks.
4. Improve your software by volunteering to complete the surveys regularly
- Survey page